Serves 3-4 plates of dahi bhalla chaat
Ingredients for about 12 Bhallas
1 cup of udad daal / (250ml)
2 tbsp of moong daal
1/2 inch of grinded ginger
2 green chilli grinded
salt to taste
oil to deep fry .
Ingredients to make chaat
3/4 cup of Green chutney
1 cup of imli chutney
2 cups of yogurt
2 tbsp of sugar
2 tsp of black salt
1 Tbsp of freshly grounded jeera powder .
salt to taste
chaat masala to sprinkle on top
red chilli powder to sprinkle on top
Method to make bhallas
1.Soak both udad and moong in 2 cups of water for an hour .
2.Grind them into a thick paste .
3.Mix with grinded ginger, green chilli paste and salt .
4. Keep this paste for minimum two hours in the fridge .
5.Take oil in a pan enough to deep fry .
6. Let oil be hot. check with the little paste if it comes on top quickly it means oil is ready to fry .
7. Take one Tbsp and fry dahi bhalls in medium low .
8. Medium low flame allows bhallas to cook from inside while not burning them from outside .
Note-Its very important to keep the paste for few hours after you grind it , else bhallas will not be puffy and they will just soak oil.
9. Now bhallas are cooked . soak them in cold water for a minute and squeeze water out with your hands .keep them aside .
10. when you want to serve chaat .
a) Take yogurt in big bowl .
b) Add salt , black salt , sugar , cumin powder .
c) In a serving plate place 5 bhallas
d) Top it with yogurt mix .
e) Then top with a tsp or two. green chutney.
f) Then top with 1 tbsp or two tamarind/imli chutney .
g) Sprinkle some chaat masala .
h) Sprinkle with red chilli powder .
your dahi bhalla chaat is ready to dig in . depending upon your taste for spices you can add/reduce the chutneys you are using .